Monday, April 5, 2010

Sunny Days!

I have officially survived a month of outdoor living in Alaska! Woo hoo! I can't believe how quickly time is passing by. Things are busy but so much fun! I couldn't ask for anything more! I am really settling in with the people here and the patterns of the outdoor lifestyle. The sun is shining more and more and I am loving every minute of my time here. The Wilderness First Responder Course was pretty intense and took up a lot of our time with studying and homework on top of the long days in the classroom and doing practice simulations outside. We had a simulation exam and a written exam last Wednesday and everyone passed both which was a huge relief! In between WFR classes, we had trainings in various topics such as Leave No Trace, Van Maintenance, Alaska history and geography, Conflict Resolution, etc.

One of the first sunny days we had and it was a priorty to jump in the ocean even though it was still freezing!! It was SOO worth it!
This was our classroom for Leave No Trace Training. (I can't figure out how to rotate this photo, sorry!)

This is the view from the closest beach to my camp. I spend many afternoons here and if you ever receive a phone call from me while I'm at the beach, this is my view!! (and yes, rainboots have quickyl become the foot attire of choice)

Last week, we got to take an overnight backpacking trip to a Forest Service Cabin in the mountains. It was a 3.5 mile hike in the snow to a super nice cabin with a gorgeous view of the mountains. The hike was on Douglas Island which is just across the Gastineau Channel from Juneau.
The sillyness of the group continues to increase as we get to know each other more and more. This is on the hike up to the cabin.
The beautiful views we had on the way to and from the cabin. I still can't believe this is what I do for work. I dont think that will ever sink in!
This is the Dan Moeller Cabin where we spent the night. Super cozy! :)

Craig just came back to Juneau this past weekend after camping in Wrangell and Sitka for the past few weeks. We are excited to enjoy Juneau's folk festival that is going on all of this week. This weekend we had a very relaxing time at the same wonderful cabin we stayed in last time. We hiked to Eagle Glacier on Sunday which was a long hike but was absolutely beautiful! Pictures are on his camera but hopefully I'll remember to post them soon.

3 comments:

John Haley said...

That's a great view from the beach. Loving the pictures.

Unknown said...

Looks awesome! I'm super jealous. Glad you're having a great time.

KMarie said...

You seriously have the best life. Ever.
:)
Love you!